A Guide to Delivery
GENESIS Clinic, the largest private maternity clinic in Northern Greece, aims to be by your side, with respect and expertise, during one of the most important moments of your life, the birth of your child.
We have created a general clinic that embraces and cares for the mother from conception to pregnancy and delivery, as well as the newborn from the first hours and days of life. We support our vision with actions, developing all departments around the woman. Thank you for trusting us at this important time in your life and we look forward to your visit before your delivery to show you around our facilities and rooms, so that you can familiarize yourself with the place where you will become a mother.
Guide to the Obstetrics Department
In order to better prepare and make your stay more enjoyable, we would like to draw your attention tothe following points:
Obstetric department offer
In our clinic, we offer the possibility of upgrading the room category in childbirth for those women who have two of the prenatal examinations with us. Indicatively:
-Nuchal Translucency & Level II or
-Level II & Doppler
Useful tips before admission and what you need to have with you
Following more recent guidance on emergency measures to protect public health from the risk of further spread of COVID-19, patients and staff attending or being admitted/in hospital for any service provision are not subject tomandatory laboratory testing using the COVID-19 rapid test unless they present symptoms of respiratory tract infection.
What you should bring with you when you are admitted:
- Identity Card or Passport
- Tax Identification Number (TIN)
- Social Security Number (AMKA)
- In case of a previous delivery in another EUROMEDICA Group Clinic, the birth certificate of the child (for deliveries after 3/2020) or a certificate of delivery from the other Clinic (for deliveries before 3/2020).
- Hospitalization card or any other proof of insurance provided by your Insurance Company (if you have private insurance)
What you should avoid carrying with you:
- Jewelry as well as large sums of money
What you should have with you during your hospital stay:
If you are preparing a bag for the maternity ward, the following items are essential for before and after delivery:
- Pajamas or nightgown, robe
- Underwear (optionally disposable)
- Breastfeeding bra and pads
- Clothing for the departure
- Personal hygiene items (e.g. toothbrush, toothpaste, sponge, shower gel, comb or hairbrush, etc.)
- When you leave, you will need a bodysuit and carry cot for your baby
We recommend that you have everything ready during the eighth month of your pregnancy as there is a possibility that you will give birth days or weeks before the expected delivery date.
For your convenience (and that of our visitors), we inform you that within the Clinic there is a cafe – restaurant, a florist, a pastry shop and an ATM of the National Bank of Greece.
What to watch out for during hospitalization:
- Do not leave personal valuables in the ward. The Clinic is not responsible for any loss of such items.
- Keep your glasses, hearing aids and/or dentures in a safe place when not in use (to prevent loss).
- When moving around, wear shoes or anti slip slippers.
Room selection for upcoming hospitalization
The GENESIS Clinic pays great attention to the areas of hospitalization and patient stay. The rooms, regardless of the number of beds, all have bathrooms, refrigerators, state-of-the-art medical equipment, as well as furniture designed to meet the nursing needs of patients. The colors and decoration of the rooms are friendly, the areas are spacious and they all have air conditioning, TV, and free Wi-Fi. Of course, the nursing staff on each floor is at your disposal 24 hours a day, for your every need.
For your birth you can choose one of the following room categories:
- Suite: Double room with a separate living room with a partition / choice of meals served in a luxurious way / possibility of feeding the accompanying person at no extra charge / possibility of overnight stay for the accompanying person / personal toiletries & bathrobe / exclusive parking space available / champagne & bouquet of flowers at the reception / toiletries for the accompanying person
- Single LUX: spacious room with view / choice of meals / possibility to feed your accompanying person at no extra charge / possibility of overnight stay for your accompanying person / personal toiletries & bathrobe
- Single A: choice of meals / possibility of overnight stay for an accompanying person / personal toiletries & bathrobe for the bathroom
- Double LUX: room with view / personal toiletries / individual TV / screens between the beds
- Double A: room with view / screens between the beds
- Triple: room with view / screens between the beds
Following a recent decision of the Hospital Infectious Diseases Committee of the Clinic, the use of protective masks is mandatory for all those moving within the GENESIS Clinic.
Regarding visiting, it is allowed outside the ward every day from 11.30′-13.30‘ and 17.30′-19.30′.
One (1) specific accompanying person per patient is allowed to visit within the inpatient ward during the designated visiting hours. Visiting is not allowed in case of symptoms consistent with a respiratory tract infection (e.g. fever, cough, respiratory distress, etc.).
Children under 12 years of age are not allowed to visit, for better infection control and patient safety.
Delivery and Stay
Where to go
The delivery rooms are located on Level -1 of the building. You can also enter from the Main Entrance of the Clinic. In any case, our staff will welcome you and guide you to the Department.
ATTENTION! Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Hospital can only be accessed through the main entrance on the Ground Floor.
The accompanying person
The expectant mother may be accompanied in the delivery room by a single person, her husband or another person of her choice. The attendant is obliged to wear the appropriate clothing provided by the reception midwife and to comply with the regulations of the Clinic and the instructions of the attending physician.
Regarding visiting, it is allowed outside the ward every day from 11.30-13.30 and 17.30-19.30. One(1) accompanying person per patient is allowed to visit inside the hospital ward during the predetermined visiting hours, with the mandatory use of a protective mask. Visiting is not permitted in case of symptoms compatible with a respiratory infection (e.g. fever, cough, respiratory distress, etc.).
New application procedure for Newborn Birth Declaration (digital)
The GENESIS Clinic was the first to implement the digital procedure for the application of the Birth Declaration for thebenefit of new parents. From now on, the birth declaration takes place at the Clinic by authorized personnel through the relevant application of the Citizen Registry Information System, with the necessary presence of one of the parents. When you are admitted to the Clinic, you must present:
- police identity cards of both parents
- the mother’s bank account number (IBAN) (beneficiary)
- the e-mail address of the mother
- for foreign parents, the passports of both parents, residence permit and translated into Greek: 1) the marriage certificate and 2) a civil status certificate
- a recent marriage or civil partnership certificate, if any
All other supporting documents are automatically retrieved from the Citizens’ Register or searched electronically on their own initiative WITHOUT any further action being required from parents. In this simple way, the Birth Declaration of the newborn is issued, which is sent electronically directly to the Registry Office of Pylaia. In turn, the Registry Office issues the Birth Registration Act, while the assignment of the social security registration number (AMKA) is processed in REAL TIME with simultaneous notification of other public services.
Breastfeeding support services: Special Breastfeeding Consultant / Exclusive Breastfeeding / Rooming-in in all room categories
GENESIS Clinic, realizing the benefits of breastfeeding, supports breastfeeding with specialized staff, while providing rooming in inall room categories 24 hours a day, as well as the possibility of exclusive breastfeeding. To facilitate exclusive breastfeeding, there is a dedicated area on the nursing floors for breastfeeding newborns.
For any help you may need with breastfeeding, in addition to the midwifery staff who support you, there is also a specialized breastfeeding counsellor available.
Free seminars for puerperae
During your stay at the Clinic, you can attend FREE of charge on the floors, each:
Monday – Wednesday – Friday the “Newborn Care Seminar”, where specialized staff informs you about bathing and general care of your baby.
Tuesday & Thursday the “Breastfeeding Seminar”, where specialized staff will advise and assist you on issues related to breastfeeding your newborn.
Optional Newborn Screening
GENESIS offers you the option of newborn screening for 45 metabolic diseases, vision The GENESIS Clinic offers you the choice of testing for 45 metabolic diseases, as well as vision and hearing screening of the newborn by specialized doctors. If you wish to have the neonatal check-ups carried out, please fill in the special form that will be distributed to you at the beginning of your stay.
Optional Newborn Photography Services
GENESIS collaborates with an GENESIS Clinic collaborates with an external photographer for the optional photography of your baby. Upon written consent from you directly to the photographer, a professional female photographer will proceed with the photo shoot, strictly observing all necessary safety measures. The photographs will be shown to you in your room by the photographer herself.
Free Psychological Support and Counseling
The GENESIS Clinic, in the context of the continuous upgrading and enrichment of its services, provides FREE psychological support and counseling to all inpatients who come to the clinic for childbirth or surgery. In particular, under the stress of a) childbirth and/or postpartum, b) a surgery or c) a chronic hospitalization, the support of a specialist can lead to psychological decompression and provide a helpful guidance. Our ultimate goal is the mental peace and balance of the inpatients in the Clinic.
Your doctor will let you know when you can leave the Clinic. Usually the length of stay fora Normal Delivery is three (3) days, while in the case of a Caesarean section it is four (4) days.